Five Great Reasons to Experience the Mississippi Gulf Coast
Championship golf, world-class casinos, fresh seafood and 62 miles of shoreline. We bet you think we're referring to an exotic location on the Riviera, but this is actually the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Surprised? You shouldn't be. The Mississippi Gulf Coast is an unassuming treasure that boasts a bucketful of southern charm and hospitality.
The area is packed with possibilities, meaning it’ll take more than a weekend or a week to experience it all. Steeped in history and activities, this is a place where you'll want to hang your hat and stay a while. Why? We thought you'd never ask. Here are five reasons we think the Mississippi Gulf Coast should be on your radar for an extended vacation.
- Beauvoir Mansion. This mansion is the last home of Jefferson Davis and is a stunning 51-acre expanse in Biloxi, Mississippi. It has been restored to its 1889 glory when Davis last lived in the home. Today, the Beauvoir Mansion boasts the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library. The grounds also include a Confederate Cemetery where the Tomb of the Unknown Confederate Soldier is located.
- Fort Massachusetts. No, you're not traveling northeast for this one. Fort Massachusetts is located on the western end of Ship Island. It was one of the last Third System forts ever built and offered a strategic deep water harbor that was used by the British to stage their invasion of New Orleans in the war of 1812. Guided free tours are available in the spring, summer and fall.
- Casinos. Will Lady Luck be on your side when you visit the Mississippi Gulf Coast? Roll the dice at one of 12 casinos offering 24-hour gaming and non-stop entertainment. The Mississippi Gulf Coast casinos are renowned for their restaurants, relaxing spas, beautiful pools and, of course, the gaming!
- Nature. The fall and winter months are the perfect time to explore trails, back bays and get up close and personal with the Mississippi Gulf Coast's flora and fauna. Mild temperatures and lower humidity during these seasons make nature walks pleasant. Just what will you see? Everything from migrating birds to alligators at the Gulf Coast Gator Ranch.
- When you really want to dive deep and get to know an area, you visit its restaurants. Get recommendations from the locals for the best "secret" spots. The Mississippi Gulf Coast offers mouthwatering dishes, from comfort foods rich in Cajun and Creole roots to elevated southern cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs.
Are you ready to pack your bags? Like we said, it'll take more than a week to experience it all. Choose a central location on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and take day trips to cities like Biloxi, Gulfport, Pass Christian, Biloxi, Ocean Springs and Bay St. Louis. Find the perfect month-to-month rentals on MonthlyRentalsByOwner.com. From luxury Biloxi condos on the beach to shabby chic cottages in the heart of Gulfport, you'll be close to everything for your month-long vacation to the Mississippi Gulf Coast.